The Big Idea Behind Staying Small
CRUDE has been told time and time again that we should add this, that, or the other thing to expand our product offerings for the sake of profit, but you’ve probably noticed that our line continues to be - intentionally - pretty small. Our research, backed by science and informed by the wisdom of nature, tells us that our skin doesn’t actually need much help to do its thing and we won’t say otherwise just to make a few bucks.
Too many personal care companies sell multiple products that essentially do the same thing but are slightly repackaged for different skin types, genders, and fragrance profiles. CRUDE was formulated to support the basic functions of human skin, regardless of age, gender, or skin type. What’s more, each of our products are multi-functional (our cleansers act as moisturizers), which means less packaging, less plastic, and less production. When we say we’re doing nothing to lessen our carbon footprint, we mean it! We’re literally making less stuff and using fewer resources.
We need to put as much thought into the amount of products that we use as we do into the ingredients inside them.
Sustainability doesn’t begin and end in a bin. It’s time to push the conversation beyond just recycling. Here are a few ways CRUDE is working hard to #StaySustainable:
- 100% of our organic or wild grown ingredients are purchased from a source that is Fair for Life certified, ensuring fair working conditions are maintained at each stage of supply chain.
- Each of our products are Leaping Bunny certified. CRUDE doesn't test on animals ❤️ 🐇 and we don't work with suppliers who do 🙅
- Minimal SKUs = less waste. We intentionally crafted a small, highly-curated line of multifunctional products, clearing up your shelf space and reducing waste.
- We use recyclable glass and aluminum jars and bottles and 100% FSC certified paper.
- All of our products are hand made in small batches in our manufacturing facility in Salt Lake City. This enables us to have vertical integration from sourcing to manufacturing, and to provide you with fresh, high-quality products that were handmade with love by real humans.
- CRUDE is committed to supporting our neighbors near and far who are enriching communities 🌎 That's why we joined the Floret Coalition, an anti-racist collective of small businesses who channel funds to Black, Indigenous, and Latinx-led grassroots organizations.
- Since June 2020, we've channeled our advertising budget toward funding diverse, value-aligned content creators who are committed to engaging and educating audiences in holistic, ethical ways.
- In 2021, our Founder and lifelong Utahn Denise Cartwright founded Save Our Great Salt Lake: a group of organizers, artists, business owners, and concerned citizens working together to prevent ecosystem collapse at the Great Salt Lake. Through education and community engagement, SOGSL has sparked grassroots action to ensure legislative action is taken to preserve one of Utah's most precious natural resources.
At the end of the day, behind this brand is a group of real people who bring our values into the work we do everyday. It's all just a part of #livingCRUDE.