In 2016, we know, thanks to the immortal words of Leslie Knope on Parks and Rec, that the most important things in life are friends, pancakes, and work. Or pancakes, friends, and work (work is always third).
OK, so we’re paraphrasing. Leslie definitely said waffles, not pancakes, but we think even she’d approve of these vegan lemon poppyseed pancakes, kitchen-tested by our very own fearless Sabrina.
Here’s what you’ll need.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain almond milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 3 Tbsp Earth Balance
- 1 flax "egg" (1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp water). This you'll have to prepare in a separate bowl until it becomes thick
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, blend the wet ingredients together and fold in the poppy seeds.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix just until combined, don't over mix, you want your pancakes to be fluffy! Lumps are fine.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle until lightly golden on both sides.
We served up our pancakes with apple honey (you can buy this at your local grocery store--we get it from Whole Foods) in place of maple syrup, but do whatever you like best!
The CRUDE Crew